Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The House on Belle Isle and other stories - Book Review

Got the image from bookcloseouts.com
Contents: Friend to Women, Miniature Man, The Correspondent, Wings, Father Judge Run, Postman, The House on Belle Isle
*
Carrie Brown has written seven beautiful stories that I have felt eager to turn page after page and to start the next one as the previous ended.
*
My first impression of the book was it's like a sedative. Reading it made me feel calm. It seemed that the words are like the gentle breeze that plays with one's hair in the late afternoons. Then, I began to notice some eccentric points, then felt the longing in ALL of the stories, then got attached to the characters, as if they were old friends and I stumbled in their blogs...all of which just made the book better.
*
The abrupt endings got me a bit disconcerted...specially in the first story. Ü I wondered if I am to conclude it myself and that I can make someone read it and he will have a different perception of things. But as I go along, I saw that that is not the case. They are real endings. They are not suppose to leave the readers hanging, speculating on what might have really happened or something.
*
And, for the best bit of it (as I see it) is that all of the seven stories looked like they were taken from poems. I don't know how to put it but maybe it's the images that are so vivid and striking they seem to leap from the words.
*
I just noticed that many of the stories in the book started in the present then some flashback of memories then would revert to the present. It's just that when I am on the last story and I saw that it would have another dose of the past, I felt that I should go and get a rest from reading the book for a while. Oh, well...it heightened the melancholy tone and I felt the last story the most.
*
All in all: Impressive.

No comments: